Welcome to the ChessCafe.com Video Spotlight. Each Wednesday and Saturday we will feature a chess related video for your entertainment.
Nicolas Rossolimo is best known today for the “Rossolimo Variation” of the Open Sicilian. In fact, however, he was a feared attacking chess artist who devoted his entire life to the game over four decades and three continents. Over his long career, grandmaster Rossolimo racked up an impressive number of brilliancy prizes. Written by Jessica Fischer; narrated by Richard Dewoskin; with research by Jessica Fischer, Larry Crawford, and Annie Kappel.
Rossolimo: Chess Artist, Part One
This segment covers Rossolimo’s chess career in America, during which he ran a famous chess studio in Greenwich Village, New York, for seventeen years. During this time, Rossolimo became a trusted friend to all American chess players, including luminaries such as Bobby Fischer and Marcel Duchamp. The segment concludes with an account of the bizarre mystery surrounding his sudden death in 1975. Written by Jessica Fischer; narrated by Richard Dewoskin; with research by Jessica Fischer, Larry Crawford, and Annie Kappel.
Rossolimo: Chess Artist, Part Two
Most Recent Videos (in order of appearance)
- Fischer Demonstrates a Morphy Game
- Tournament Hopes to Make Game Cool
- Living Like Kings
- Dr. Kenneth Regan’s TEDx Talk
- Chess Club Students Need Help
- Guernsey Brilliancy
- World Chess Championship Preview
- Carlsen vs Anand Preview
- World Chess Championship 2014
- Carlsen vs Anand Game 5
- Carlsen vs Anand Games 6-8
- Carlsen vs Anand Games 9-10
- Carlsen vs Anand Game 11
- 2014 Aronian vs Nakamura Blitz
- NYPD Plays Chess
- Carlsen’s Top Tips
- Magnus Carlsen Recaps the World Championship
- ChessBase Magazine #162
- London Chess Classic 2014
- A History of Chess Openings
- IM Hjorth vs. IM Solomon
- Paul Morphy vs Adolf Anderssen
- Kasparov-Karpov, Lyon 1990
- Interview with Alex Dunne
- A Fork, A Spoon, and A Knight
- Innovation in the Marshall Gambit
- So-Aronian, Tata Steel 2015
- Wijk aan Zee 2015 Round 6
- Wijk aan Zee 2015 Round 7
- The Budapest and Benko Gambits
- The Life and Chess of Boris Spassky
- Tradewise Gibraltar Master Class #1
- Tradewise Gibraltar Master Class #4
- Learn from the Legendary Vera Menchik
- 2015 Australian Open
- Anand-Carlsen, Grenke Chess Classics
- How to Judge a Chess Position
- The Style and Wit of Tartakower!
- Rossolimo: Chess Artist
© 2015 ChessEdu.org. All Rights Reserved.
Peter Hardman says
Wonderful. A giant of life. I met him after moving to NYC in the mid ’60’s. Walking past his chess studio one day I entered out of curiosity. Just N R and another man were inside and N R asked if I wanted to play. At that time I only knew how the chess pieces moved. After about a dozen moves he became uninterested in continuing. (Wonder why this did not happen sooner :)) thanks for this video!